IOMP is charged with a mission to advance medical physics practice worldwide by disseminating scientific and technical information, fostering the educational and professional development of medical physics and promoting the highest quality medical services for patients. Information on IOMP activities, development priorities, and external relations are given in her strategic policy document Review and Way Forward of IOMP.
IOMP works together with International Organizations such as IAEA, WHO and ILO to strengthen the role of Medical Physicists. ILO has recently classified medical physicists as a profession in the International Standard Classification of Occupations-08 (ICSO-08) under physics and astronomy, which is an important reference document for governments for recognition and classification of occupations.
IOMP collaborates with professional bodies such as IRPA and ICRP and international organizations such as WHO and IAEA in promoting the development of medical physics and safe use of radiation and radiological equipment technology.
IOMP is collaborating with professional organizations in development of a professional certification system for medical physicists that can be implemented on a global basis. To provide guidance on education, training and professional development of medical physicists, IOMP is publishing some policy documents on such issues.
IOMP together with IFMBE and IUPESM organize the World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (World Congress) once every three years. IOMP also organizes the International Congress of Medical Physics (ICMP) which is held between World Congresses. IOMP provide travel supports to medical physicists from developing countries to attend these meetings.
- J.W. Boag, R.E. Ellis. Report on a Discussion on International Organization in Medical Physics. Phys. Med. Biol. 4 223, 1960. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/4/3/301.
© Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine. Reproduced by permission of IOP Publishing. All rights reserved.
– 1.1 MB
- International Organization for Medical Physics, Brief history of IOMP, Correspondence. Phys. Med. Biol. 19 109, 1974. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/19/1/314.
© Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine. Reproduced by permission of IOP Publishing. All rights reserved. – 321.29 KB
- The Birth of the International Organization for Medical Physics, with memories by Prof. John Mallard, 1994. – 151.04 KB
Like most, if not all, scientific societies, the IOMP relies heavily on the support of our members to preserve history of our Organization. This is even more important for the IOMP since we have no permanent headquarters or staff to keep records. Clearly nothing can be achieved without the voluntary assistance of our members. Many members have dedicated their time and effort to advanced the goals and objectives of the Organization. In order to document this support, the History SubCommittee provides the following
Tables (1-27) that document the work of those individuals who have, over the years, committed time and energy to make it possible for IOMP to achieve its aims and aspirations.
- Table 1
- IOMP Officers
- Table 2
- IOMP Member Countries
- Table 3
- List of Officers for International Union on Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (IUPESM)
- Table 4
- IOMP Affiliated Regional Organizations and Year National Associations/Societies were established
- Table 5
- List of IOMP Corporate Members
- Table 6
- List of International Conferences on Medical Physics (ICMP) and World Congresses on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (WC)
- Table 7
- List of International Scientific Exchange Programs (ISEP), Co-sponsored by American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- Table 8
- Incomplete List of IOMP Sponsored Meetings (Not including ICMP, WC, ISEP)
- Table 9
- List of Medical Physics World (MPW) Editors and Editorial Boards
- Table 10
- Outline of MPW (eMPW) Reports, Announcements and Information
- Table 11
- List of IOMP Adhering National Organizations as they appear in MPWs and eMPWs
- Table 12
- List of MPW Advertisements
- Table 13
- Membership of Awards and Honors Committee (AHC)
- Table 14(I)
- Incomplete List of IOMP, IUPESM and IUPAP Awards Recipients
- Table 15
- Membership List of Education and Training Committee (ETC)
- Table 16
- Membership List of Science Committee (SC)
- Table 17
- Membership List of Developing Countries Committee (DCC) and Professional Relations Committee (PRC)
- Table 18
- List of International Library Programs (ILP), Co-Sponsored by AAPM
- Table 19
- Membership List of Publication Committee (PC)
- Table 20
- Membership List of Nomination Committee (NC)
- Table 21
- Membership List of Rules Committee (RC)
- Table 22
- Membership List of Finance Sub Committee (FSC)
- Table 23
- Membership List of International Commission on Medical Physics IComMP) Affiliated with International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP)
- Table 24
- Membership List of History Sub Committee (HSC)
- Table 25
- (I)Incomplete List of Names and Number of Delegates from Adhering National Organizations (Since 2006)
- Table 26
- List of Corporate Liaison (CL)
- Table 27
- List of Video Interviews of Prominent Medical Physicists by AAPM History Committee (1977-1979 and 1990-2004) and by IOMP History SubCommittee Since 2009 (Videos)